Tuesday 12 June 2012

Something Non-Nail Related :P

My friend found a video on YouTube on how to customise an old pair of jeans into shorts so we tried it out. I bought a pair 3/4 lengths from a charity shop.



I cut them into what is apparently known as a 'dolphin' cut, where the sides curve up. Then I soaked them in a bucket of bleach and water overnight to whiten them. That didn't work so well so I scrubbed them with neat bleach and an old toothbrush all over to get them as white as possible. A tip is to buy jeans or shorts that aren't the stretchy or dyed kind of jeans; the ones that are 100% cotton and haven't been dyed a 'jean' colour bleach much better.


 At first I dyed them a pale shade of pink with Dylon hand dye but the colour didn't take much, so I got Dylon Flamingo Pink machine dye and the result was amazing. Using the dye has really made me think twice about chucking an item of clothing away; a change of colour or cutting it into another style could be all it needs to revive it.


I bought some applique Monarch butterflies from eBay seller Adornorama who I reccommend and would definitely buy from again. 5 small ones and a large one came to just £5 including P+P. Bargain!



I positioned 2 small ones on the front near each pocket, the large one on a bum pocket and the remaining 3 clustered together on the other.


I probably could have bought a pair new for the price they costed to make, but if you use an old pair you have lying around rather than going to a charity shop like me (I didn't have a pair I didn't mind cutting up) then you'll definitely save money and this way you can make them look exactly how you want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment